Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Last Loooong Ride

Last Friday was my last really long ride in prep for Kona. Here are the stats:

5 hours 37 minutes.
107 miles / very hilly course.

The bike in Kona is really the first determining factor for me going under 10 hours. Basically, I have to have a good enough bike to put myself into a good position to run about a 3:10 marathon. Doing the math, that means I'll need to start the run at around 6:45 race time or sooner to have a shot. With an hour swim and transitions, that means I have to bike the 112 miles in around 5:30. The conditions on the bike course could be the x factor in this whole plan. If it is super hot, humid, and windy (very possible), it'll be tough. I'm hoping for good conditions, but on race day, the conditions are what the conditions are. Part of doing well in Ironman is just focusing on the stuff you can control.

Anyway, long training rides are frickin hard. I am glad their over with.

Fundraising update:

Pledges for finishing: $7455
Under 10 Kicker: $6320
Total Possible: $13775

I have some press going on this week and a few heavy hitters to hit up so I am hoping for a good $$$ week.

Check in tomorrow as I'll post some cool stories about our trip to St Bernard Parish last July.

Still taking donations...

Matt

No comments: