Tuesday, September 23, 2008

SBP and some cool stuff...




Well, the donations keep rolling in. I havent had the time to update my numbers yet, but it's safe to assume we are over the magic number of $12K. That means, through all of your efforts, we have raised enough to build a house. Some family is getting back into their home because of this silly little project.....very cool.

When the kids and I visited St Bernard Parish back in July, we worked on the home of David and Ivette Delgado. They were living in a FEMA trailer in their front yard with their 2 kids since Katrina.

Angelique - 8 DJ - 5







We spent the week working under Spencer, a 21 year old kid from Minneapolis. Spencer worked and lived in New Orleans for The St Bernard Project through Americorp and was paid about $150 a week.




The kind of leadership skills that a guy like Spencer is learning in a situation like this is invaluable. When I see some of the "spoiled brat" labels that get thrust upon this next generation, I think of Spencer, and have hope for the future. There are a bunch of Spencer's down in New Orleans right now, working for nothing, getting people back into their homes. The future of New Orleans is a bit brighter because of him. The Delgado's future sure looks brighter.

Well, in my original post, I promised the IM-SBP top ten a very cool St Bernard Project visor. Matt at Headsweats (http://headsweats.com/) is rushing the order so they'll be ready for Kona. Check this out:





The top ten is going to be tough to crack. I wont give specific names but I will say the going rate for the top ten is about $500. Imagine that, you can help some family like the Delgado's get back home and get a cool visor! If you are planning on being in Kona for the race, I'll be sporting one on the run too.

Training wise, just a few hard days left before I shut it down and start to rest. I have had some questions about caloric intake recently. During one of my harder training days recently, I counted calories and got up to 8000 for the day. Not exactly Michael Phelps territory, but a lot of food none the less. When you start to ad intensity into training towards the end, you're ALWAYS hungry.

Until next time, still taking donations...

Matt

No comments: